Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

If you want to be healthy, then be happy.

If you want to be healthy, then be happy.
“…the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Neh8.10 ESV

Wisdom affirms the value of a merry heart for good health. Actually the word merry is often used in Scripture of celebrating, so we might say that there are health benefits when one knows how to party. God is of course not approving riotous revelry but He is certainly encouraging us to celebrate life. “Don’t worry, be happy,” was certainly one of Jesus’ favorite topics and I am sure He would agree that if you want to be healthy, then be happy.
Now, some have sought to draw a distinction between happiness and joy. It is said that happiness comes from what is going on around us while joy comes from what is going on in us. This may be splitting hairs, so to speak, but I think this distinction might help us fine-tune the reasons behind our joy and happiness. What makes me happy is a healthy question to consider.
There are many encouragements in Scripture to rejoice and I should think that since we are told to do this, being happy and joyous must be a choice. We rejoice when we fine our joy in something. I don’t mean serendipitously find joy in it, but deliberately and consciously find joy in whatever God is providing. When we know how to celebrate God’s blessings, even when His blessings are disguised in trials and tribulations, we will know the richest expression of the words, “the joy of the Lord is my strength. This is to say, I am happy in whatever make Him happy. 4/1/2008 ts