Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My most secret meditations

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer. Ps19.14 NKJV

It staggers the mind to realize that God hears not only all we say but all we think. As I have grown in my awareness of this, I am stretched in at least two directions. I find both discomfort and comfort in knowing this. My discomfort is due to the fact that I am often embarrassed by all that God has witnessed in my thoughts. Yet, my comfort comes from the simple truth that even though He knows my most secret meditations, He still loves me. This of course does not mean that He approves what I am thinking and He often lets me know this by interrupting my thoughts with His own. When this happens, I can either continue my line of judgmental, lustful, or self-centered thinking, or I can repent.
I know that in my own experience, Christ encourages me to reign in my wayward thoughts many times in an hour. And truthfully, this is sometimes required many times in a single minute. Our transformation surely begins on this battlefield of our thoughts. A verse I learned early in my Christian life is still spoken to my heart. “Cast down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.” 2Co10.5 10/16/07 ts