Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Dumpster diving

“So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.” Rom6.11 ESV

For years I got stuck on the first half of this verse. I still do from time to time. Much of my Christian life could be summed up spending my days trying not to sin. Of course when you are cornered into playing defensive ball, you are losing the game. It has occurred to me in recent years (I am a slow learner) that the old sport adage has application here. The best defense is an aggressive offence and the best way to die to sin is to be alive to God.
When I spend my day living and pursuing that which is truly life, I find I have little time and a diminished desire for lesser things. The satisfied spouse has no reason to look for love elsewhere and when our hearts are satisfied in the superior delights of the Spirit, we will have little appetite for the lesser desires of the flesh. Who would want to dumpster dive, after feasting at the table of the King. 2/27/2008 ts