Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Giving Birth

"Out of the anguish of his soul he shall see and be satisfied". Is53.11 ESV

I remember, though not as Brenda remembers I’m sure, the birth of each of our children. I was but a spectator, Brenda was, shall we say, personally involved in what we appropriately call “labor.” And labor it was. I remember thinking, as each wave of pain etched their lines across her face, how brave she was, and that I would be scared to death if I were in her place. I am still amazed that as soon as each child was delivered, Brenda would eagerly and tenderly want to hold, what a few minutes earlier, had caused her so much pain. She saw her travail and was satisfied. Great pain produced great joy. I would dare say that she would name these moments as some of the happiest in her life.
I am sure that when God designed the process of giving birth He was thinking about the labor of His Son at Calvary. I am equally sure that Christ looks at each of us with the same tender affections of the mother who has given birth. His great pain has produced eternal joy. We are the reward and joy of Christ. Let us, as best we may, cause Him no more pain. 2/20/2008 ts
-