Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Reepicheep

'You shall never return that way again.' Deut17.16 ESV

It may seem a bit strange, but we set out every day trying to do something we know is impossible for us to do. I make reference to sin, mainly our efforts to keep from it. Sin can be something we do, that we know is wrong. Sin can also be something we know we should be doing but we are not doing. And, sin isn't limited to our actions; it can be something as simple as a selfish or envious thought. We set out each day to avoid these transgressions yet we know that before the sun goes down and sometimes even before we get out of the shower we have already failed.
Now God knows we will fail and that is the reason for Christ. He has satisfied the demands of God's justice for all who trust Him. Yet we know it is the full intention of Christ to free us not only from the penalty of sin but its power in our lives. And so, Jesus told the adulteress woman, whom He had just forgiven, "Go and sin no more." But Christ does leave us to our self. He comes to live in us, and to change the very direction of our heart. Do we not long to be with Him, to be like Him?
And, until we are delivered from our present state all we can do is accept the gift of His grace for no one earns heaven. But, having accepted the gift we strive like Reepicheep, to die with our tail toward Egypt and our nose toward the Promised Land.
" While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise" Reepicheep "Dawn Treader" 2/4/2008 ts