Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Motives!

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” Jo3.16 ESV

When it comes to God’s intentions for us, it does not get any simpler than is expressed in the words above. We may be a suspicious lot, but it is hard to argue about God’s motives when He is willing to give so much to secure our personal happiness. He has found a way to freely pardon our rebellion, adopt us as His children though it cost Him the very life of His own Son. We may not understand the mechanics of it all but I think each of us would do well to personalize the message above instead of generalizing it some generic sense. God loves me! He loves me so much that He gave his only Son, gave Him for me and, if I trust in Him I will not perish but I will have eternal life. I am equally encouraged and captured by the simple fact that God is offering me life not a religion, offering me Himself not a self-improvement program, though we are sure to improve by our acceptance of His gift.