Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, May 2, 2008

Am I awake or am I dreaming?

“Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it.” Gen28.16 ESV

Young Jacob may have believed in the God of his father Abraham, but he had not yet waked to God’s presence in His own life. His father’s God speaks to Him in his dreams because young Jacob does not know of Him when he is awake. The concerns of Jacob’s little world have so occupied his thoughts that they have crowded out any thought of God. The young man has been so preoccupied seeking his own advantage, that he has missed his one true advantage. And so, God comes to wake him, to rouse him, to throw cold water on him as he sleeps. Here begins the story of Jacob’s awakening. He soon will know that the Lord is not just in this place but in every place and more so, the Lord is with him.
Am I awake to God’s presence around me? Do I know how much He loves me, how wealthy He has made me in Christ, the riches in glory that are mine, the present graces He offers each hour. Do I know how He longs to converse with me, or of His genuine interest in my life, that He is not just Abraham’s God, but because of Jesus, He is my God. Do I understand that He is not just in this place but everywhere and most tenderly, He is with me? Am I awake or am I dreaming? 5/2/2008 ts