Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, May 16, 2008

What must be freely given

“…a servant of Christ Jesus.” Rom.1.1 ESV

We maintain many relations within our relationships. My wife, is also my friend, my partner in ministry and my sister in Christ. And though she is all of these things she has, many times, made herself a willing servant to me.
We likewise maintain many relations in our relationship with God. We are His children, the subjects of His kingdom; Christ has called us brothers, sisters and friends. But we too make ourselves willing servants to Him. That is precisely the meaning of the word “doulos,” translated “bond servant,” throughout the New Testament. A doulos was sometimes a slave set free, who willingly chose to remain in the service of his master. Proper obedience to God is a willing submission to Him. Just as love is properly a free expression and certainly must be for it to be love, so also is our service to Christ if it is to have any value whatsoever to Him, or to us. 5/16/2008 ts