Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, May 30, 2008

The Road not Taken

“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.”

I am haunted by these words of Christ, “those who find it are few.” They cut through the very core of my pride like the two edged sword they are. I have celebrated in myself the namesake attitude of this road not taken, only in His light to find, it is actually the road most taken. We all celebrate humanities desire for uniqueness and our declaration of independence from our Maker, “I did it my way!”
It is clear that Christ comes to win no popularity contest, but to warn us of following the mass of humanity seeking God in their own way rather than submitting to God in the only way possible. That way, that narrow road is found only in the gracious sacrifice of Christ, for He must give to us what cannot be earned and what must be, and only be, humbly accepted. Tragically, His will be the road less taken. 5/30/2008 ts