Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fighting with your spouse

“I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling.” 1Tim2.8 ESV

I have noticed that the temptation to quarrel with my wife always comes before I am to preach or teach or give myself to prayers and other means of grace. Such temptations were so common at one point in our marriage, that Brenda and I would take separate cars to church in order to avoid arguing about when she would be ready to leave. Avoiding temptation can be a good thing but avoiding your spouse is not and so we are admonished to avoid strife rather than avoid each other. The New Testament seems to acknowledge this usual tactic of the enemy to disrupt our prayers and encourages husbands and wives particularly, to live in an understanding way, and I quote, “…so that your prayers will not be hindered.”
Having harsh words with one’s spouse will hinder one’s words before God. It is hard to lift the holy hands of prayer if our heart is weighed down with strife. We must be at peace with others before we can serve as a peacemaker before God. 5/13/2008 ts