Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

“I want some nobility damn it!”

“We await a Savior.” Phil3.20 ESV

I am reminded of a movie where one of the principle characters, a very selfish person, desperately told his friend, “I want some nobility damn it!” What he was saying is that he was ashamed of the selfish life he had lived and wanted a chance to redeem himself. This may sound well and good but truthfully, if we could redeem ourselves we would not need the redemption offered to us in Christ. I received a letter this morning from a friend who rightly describes self-redemption as another form of pride. He writes, “A prideful heart says, “I’m not good enough to receive Your gift. I’ll wait until I’m more worthy to receive it. Until then, I’ll just sulk in my unworthiness.”
We await a Savior because we need a savior. The belief that if given the chance we can somehow rise above our sinfulness and find nobility before God stems from the very same pride that got us into this mess in the first place. Jesus saves, and we must trust His nobility, not seek to establish our own. 5/28/2008 ts