Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Awake, thou wintry earth-- laugh forth Your ancient gladness! Christ is risen. Thomas Blackburn

For the Lord…makes her wilderness like Eden, her desert like the garden of the Lord…” Is.51.3 ESV

I have always liked the saying that “memory is the power to gather roses in winter.” Last night I walked into a Home Depot, took one breath of its sawdust smell, and was overcome with pleasant memories of home projects that Brenda and I have worked on through the years. Talk about roses in winter, it was a moment of intense joy to me, so much so, that I literally stood there for several moments and inhaled the precious memories. The fragrance of our faith in Christ is able to transform every wilderness and every desert into a garden of Eden. Such is the gracious work of God, so that storms may rage around us but joy and peace reign within us. And, let us not sell short these wonderful words to comfort in this life alone. The resurrection of Christ means that these marvelous metaphors will pass into the morning of reality where winter will truly give way to an eternal spring. 1/26/2009 ts