Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Fill your Sails

“As you do not know what is the way of the wind, or how the bones grow in the womb of her who is with child, so you do not know the works of God who makes everything.” Ecc11.5 NKJV

I have tried on a number of occasions, and without success, to find some explanation for some of the paradoxes found in Scripture. There are quite a few. Now the problem is that I hold to a principle of interpretation which says that you should not understand one passage of Scripture in such a way that it contradicts another. But a paradox is a statement which seems to be contradictory yet somehow isn’t. The “somehow,” is of course, unexplainable, and that is why we call it a paradox and not and outright contradiction. When we come upon one these paradoxes, we are asked to accept to truth of both statements even though we may not be able to reconcile them. It is not only the Scriptures that make this demand on us. There are many things in nature that require the same. The simple fact is that we are asked to believe and therefore function in a world and before a God that we do not fully understand. I may not know the way of the wind but I can use it to fill my sails. I may not understand the mysteries of predestination but I can still ask for daily bread. 5/15/07 ts