Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Unity not Uniformity

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 1Co1.10 NKJV

I eat lunch with a group of pastors each month. A number of denominational persuasions are represented. And, while there are certainly differences in doctrine and modes of worship, there are no divisions in our love for Christ and His kingdom.
I believe the encouragement above is a call to unity not uniformity. Harmony exists, not when we all sing the same part but when we sing the same song and sing it under the same Director. Christ is the Composer of our music and the Conductor of His Church. He would not have us all play the same instrument, but follow His hands in a symphony of love to His Father.
I think the test of this unity may comes when I may, in one part of the church practice baptism by immersion, but love and support, even appreciate and give thanks for my brother who sprinkles, for he too is devoted to Christ.
Can two walk together, unless they are agreed? I may walk on the left hand of Christ and another His right, but we walk with Christ. Perspectives may differ, but Christ Himself is the “tie that binds.” 5/21/07 ts