Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

That’s the Deal

But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, and His righteousness to children’s children, to such as keep His covenant, and to those who remember His commandments to do them. Ps103.17-18 NKJV

Perfect obedience may not be the key that opens heaven's doors, at least not our obedience, that is the gift of Christ to those who trust Him. This is one of the many reasons we need mercy. But we should understand that perfect obedience is the goal that Christ has in mind when He comes to live in us. The words of Christ ‘Be ye perfect…“ have bothered many, they certainly have bothered me. C. S. Lewis offers an insight I think helpful, “Some people seem to think this means 'Unless you are perfect, I will not help you'; and as we cannot be perfect, then, if He meant that, our position is hopeless. But I do not think He did mean that. I think He meant 'The only help I will give is help to become perfect. You may want something less: but I will give you nothing less.'“
The agreement God makes with us and we with Him, is that He will accept the perfect righteousness of Christ, as the basis for all of His interaction with us, if we also accept that with this grace, He fully intends to make us just like Christ. Because He is perfect, He cannot offer anything less than perfection if we are to live with Him. That’s the deal. I suppose that knowing this means that we can expect some pretty rough days. What is promised, is not only His perfection but the fullness of His joy that comes with it. That too is part of the deal. 5/29/07 ts