Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Pinned up Frustration with God

“Be… slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.” Jam1.20

I am one of those people who tend to get angry at inanimate objects. I woke this morning to find my bathroom shower going drip, drip, drip. No matter how I turned the handle, I still got the same result. I turned it left, right, pushed down on it real hard and when it still dripped, I pounded on it several times with my fist. Frustrated, I gently heard these familiar words whispered to my soul, “for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.“ No kidding. I find it humorous and at the same time humbling, that the verse waiting on me for my reflections this morning is the same word I heard just five minutes ago when I was venting anger at a shower knob. But thus He speaks, and these ‘co-incidents,’ have become the norm, so much so, that I could not possibly regard them as inanimate events but a very real and very personal interaction with the living God.
It seems silly to vent anger at an object that has absolutely no personal animosity towards you. And many times I think my anger is really at the invisible God who is allowing, causing or behind these annoyances in my life, if only to teach me patience. All inanimate events are directed by an animate God. I remember a friend telling me about an episode of anger he had at God one morning. One thing after another kept going wrong at work until he finally pounded the work bench and shouted, “If You think I need this this morning, You are wronggg!
I find in my life that anger at inanimate things and events is many times pinned up frustration at God who seems to be resisting me. And, He does resist the proud you know, just as He gives grace to the humble. 5/25/07 ts