Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, May 4, 2007

Let it Begin with Me

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2Ch7.14 NKJV

Yesterday was National Day of Prayer. I am sure the Holy Spirit positioned many people to pray for our nation. We may take it as a good sign whenever God moves people to intercede. It is an indication of His intent. Often when I pray for the country and ask God to forgive our sins, I am thinking about the gross and vile sins we read or hear about in the news and not so much my own rebellions. I think that it is proper for me to examine my own need for repentance before looking at the sins of others. We may certainly ask God to forgive the sins of our neighbors, but only with that true humility directed by the Lord Jesus, who told us to say, “Forgive us our debts,” instead of, “Forgive them, theirs.”
True confession is followed by true repentance. Do we desire a Christian nation. Let us be Christian ourselves. Gandhi said he might become a Christian when he met one. He also said some very Christian words, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.“ Judgment is said to come first with the household of God. Perhaps, if judgment begins with God‘s people, our own repentance will begin a national one. 5/4/07 ts