Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

God’s Favorite Song

“The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Ze3.17

Here is a wonderful revelation about our God. He sings. And what does God sing about? He sings about the apple of His eye, He sings about us. His songs are most certainly love songs. Most songs are you know. Many of our loves songs are faint echoes of His. Have you not heard His song resonating in the words of our songs. Remember Petula Clark’s “My Love”

“My love is warmer than the warmest sunshine
Softer than a sigh. My love is deeper than the deepest ocean
Wider than the sky. My love is brighter than the brightest star
That shines every night above And there is
nothing in this world That can ever change my love.”

Or how about Randy Travis

“My love is deeper than the holler. Stronger than the river.
Higher than the pine trees growin' tall upon the hill.
My love is purer than the snowflakes, That fall in late December.
And honest as a Robin on a springtime window sill. And longer than the song of a whippoorwill.”

What we croon in human frailty, God alone can sing with eternal fidelity. What we could only wish were true in our songs, is the depth of love that He resounds in His.
I am sure there are also ballads in God's repertoire. There is little doubt that the lyrics portray Him as Hero and we His rescued heroine. And what is God’s favorite song? I am sure it is any song about Jesus or to Jesus or even from Jesus. Christ sings of His Father and the Father His son. I feel sure they sing to one another and the songs that include us describe us only as the gifts that they have given to one another. We are graciously caught up in their one of a kind love for each other.
Can you imagine what God must sound like when He sings? We are told that His voice is like the sound of many waters. Perhaps this is one reason people like being around waterfalls. 5/16/07 ts