Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

More Willing to Give Than We Are to Ask

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Heb11.6 NKJV

Of the many stories told about Alexander the Great, I like this one the best. A certain man approached the young king and asked if he would help him to pay off his debts. The king said he would and instructed the man to tell the treasurer to give him the sum he needed. But, when the man approached the treasurer and asked for such an enormous amount of money, the treasurer felt that he should check with the king before giving it to him. After Alexander heard how much money the man had requested, he instructed the treasurer to pay him at once. He explained that the man had paid him a singular honor and put it this way, “His request shows that he has understood both my wealth and my generosity.”
It suits my fancy to think of God in this way. I want to believe that He is generous beyond measure. I say I want to believe this because if I am honest with myself, my prayers do not reflect this. I think I am timid in prayer not because I doubt God’s wealth and generosity but because I doubt it toward someone like me. And that, is the point of my failing. God’s willingness to give is not because we are worthy of it, but because it is His very nature to be generous. God honors faith because faith honors God.
In my living room there is a picture hanging on the wall, a frame that encloses two simple words “Ask Him!” I find it humorous the number of times I have been absently staring at these words, worried or concerned about something, and then suddenly, as if on que, the words come into focus, “Ask Him!” I am sure that God is more willing to give, not only than we are willing to ask but even more than what we are willing to ask. 5/1/07 ts