Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Are you listening?

“But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’” Mt4.4 NKJV

Brenda and I have a fascination with caves and in particular undomesticated ones; the ones without public tours. Now entering any cave requires a good source of light and if you are smart, a backup. I once turned off my light in such a cave and literally could not see my hand in front of my face. It is a darkness you can feel. Imagine being lost in oppressive darkness without light.
The Scriptures are said to be a lamp and light. God’s word is given a number of other descriptions, all of which are intended to show us how vital it is to our lives. It is called living water, and the bread from heaven. Imagine living without light, or water or bread. This of course is impossible, for the absence of these things is certain death.
How vital are God’s words to us. Moses explained that God allowed the children of Israel to go hungry and then fed them with manna to teach them the great importance of His words. When facing the temptations of Satan, Christ’s every response began, “It is written.“ No wonder we are told to let the words of Christ dwell richly in us.
If we really think about it, what else is could possibly be needed in any and every situation but a word from God Himself. And, He generously waits to give it. I have often found that He meets me here each morning and gives me the very words I need for that day. It just so happens that I have reached a fork in my road and need such a word. He asks me, “Are you listening?“ Oh the times I have opened the Scriptures, only to find a word waiting for me, so apropos, so direct, that I can only marvel that He speaks to one such as I am. But such is He, so willing is Father to light our path and lead us to His. 7/12/07 ts