Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Never Tire of Living

“…let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.” Heb12.1 NKJV

We might do well to consider that some of our thoughts and actions may not be sinful, but they may certainly weight us down spiritually. Take for instance, watching TV, or perusing a magazine or any other pointless and mindless activity that, if we are not careful, may squander precious time. Now I am not referring to recreation of course, because when it is done properly and with purpose recreation re-creates. But, I do need to consider, if my game of solitaire has become a weight to my spiritual progress. The activity itself may not be sinful, but if ungoverned it may make me unfruitful. Scripture tells us in so many words that whatever we do, we should do it with purpose. When I work let it express my enjoyment of God. When I play let it too express the same. Even rest, may be fruitful, when done with faith and purpose, which means of course, that a game of cards may refresh one yet do nothing for another. It is all this nothing, pointless thoughts, pointless activities that we should be mindful of. Nothing piled upon nothing will yield nothing and before we know it we will have nothing to show for the day entrusted to us.
Someone may say, do you not tire of all this running, always going, always seeking to make every moment productive. Well if you are referring to a driven life for things without, then yes I would quite agree. But if by productive you mean fruitful, and by fruitful you mean, love, joy and peace, then who would tire of that? I am reminded of a line from the movie, ‘With Honors.’ “Winners forget they are in a race. They just love to run.” We might say that in Christ we have come to love life and thus, never tire of living. 7/27/07 ts