Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Proof of Faith.

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Heb11.1 NKJV

The words which follow this oft quoted verse, tell us how faith is both substance and proof. “For by it (faith) the elders obtained a good testimony.” In other words the proof of faith was in the pudding of their life before God. Jesus repeatedly told us to look for fruit. Fruit is the evidence of faith. What fruit? I can think of nothing greater than the fruit of transformation, lust turned to love, hate to kindness, selfishness to humility. When I first became a Christian I wanted God to show Himself to me by interruptions in the natural world, what we would call miracles. And, I have seen my share of God working on my behalf in some extraordinary ways. Through the years I have come to believe that much of my interest in these things, not only revealed a lack of faith in me but a childish one. I have come through a process of persuasion that though I believe in miracles, have even witnessed them, it is not so much what God is doing “around you” as it is what God is doing “in you” that is the substance and evidence of a mature faith. It is not so much calling fire down from heaven, as it is the fire of obedience and love flowing from our heart, that is good testimony before God. 7/26/07 ts