Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, July 6, 2007

Until the Twelfth of Never

Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. Mt24.35 NKJV

It would be difficult to point to anything more enduring than space and time, at least in the witness they have in the eyes of modern science. This is exactly the reason Jesus compares the permanence and certainty of His words to them. He actually gives more perpetuity to His words than to the material universe. Such claims set Christ apart from the world of religious figures. Who could make such a self-exalting claim? Well only a madman or else the actual Master and Maker of heaven and earth. Christ leaves us no room to call Him just another good moral teacher.
The Christian hope of eternal life and happiness rest on these words of Christ. Like Peter, we confess, Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life.”
My wife and I like to walk in cemeteries. The Old Live Oak Cemetery here in Selma is a popular tourist attraction. Our favorite feature is not its many notable graves but the Live Oaks trees which line the sections. It is humbling to walk past a tree four or five feet in diameter and hundreds of years old. I have had several thoughts walking down these rows of ancient trees. One, is that these gentle giants have outlived and now provide shade for the generations who lie in repose under their branches. The trees were there long before I was born and will be there long after I die. The other, is that I have the enduring word of Christ that long after these ancient trees are gone, I will remain, alive with Him in resurrected glory. His enduring word living in our hearts shall make us to endure long after Heaven and Earth as we now know it has passed away.
7/6/07 ts