Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Full Benefit

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. Jo15.10 NKJV

Christ has said that we express our love for Him each time we keep His commandments. What is equally true is that we experience and can only fully experience His love when we do. I am not saying that He does not love us if we do not obey Him. What I mean, is that many times, the benefit of being loved by Him can only be experienced when we do what He has told us to do. Picture a friend offering to share their umbrella so that we might not get wet, walking to the car in a downpour. Now if we refuse this offer we will certainly get wet. Our refusal means that we forfeit the benefit of their offer. I remember helping my dad put up Christmas lights as a child. He warned me to keep my hands out of the empty electrical sockets. Now the fact that I ignored my dad’s warning, and stuck my finger in one, does not mean that my dad stopped loving me, but I did not abide in his love and got popped.
All of the commandments we receive from God are expressions of His love for us. Instruction about sex, marriage, food, drink or any other thing comes from His greater wisdom and is intended to enrich our experience in them. To neglect them is to miss out on the benefits of His love or get something else that in the end we will wish we did not have. One does not quench thirst by knowing that there is water in the bottle but by drinking it. 7/14/07 ts