Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fascination with flashlights

“The unfolding of your words gives light.” Ps119.130 ESV

I think it is safe to say that men are generally fascinated with flashlights and pocketknives. Most, if not all the men I know are. I keep both handy all of the time and would be sore pressed not to have them. But my fascination with a good flashlight is more than in its usefulness. I am not exactly sure what it is about the ability to hold the power of light in your hand and to call it up whenever it is needed.
The value of light is a common theme in the Scriptures. There is a great confidence when we are able to unfold the wisdom and light of it pages into the dark places of our lives. When the children of God are in doubt, we search the Scriptures. When fear assails us, we search the Scriptures. When we need guidance, or comfort or wisdom, we search the Scriptures. Our faith in God’s Word is the power to turn on the light. And as we seek the Spirit of God leads us to find, and we give this praise, “Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” There is nothing like a good flashlight when you need one. 3/20/2008 ts