Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Money for the Zoo

“For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. Mt25.14 ESV

Jesus tells us that it is vital that we understand that the Kingdom of God is the property of God and that we are mere servants in that Kingdom. All that we possess has been entrusted to us, does not belong to us, and is to be used for Kingdom purposes. This does not mean that we can’t enjoy what God has entrusted to us. He certainly desires that we do. But it does mean that these endowments are not for us alone and are to be as freely shared as they have been freely given. Because we are in charge of these gifts it cannot be said that the sharing is communism, but it is certainly community. Communism is a forced sharing, while community is a voluntary sharing. This means that although every gift of God is for the benefit of the community, it is under the care and direction of the individual. And, because all submission to God is voluntary the individual may of course refuse to share what is entrusted to them, but at what cost?
Yesterday we took some inner city teens to the zoo. At one point the thought crossed my mind that I was being generous with my possessions doing so. Just as I was staring to feel a little too good about myself, the Holy Spirit quickly reminded me, that I was being generous with His possessions and that He had provided them for just that purpose. The truth is that Father gave us all some money to go to the zoo yesterday, He just entrusted it to my care. Jesus tells us that that is the only proper way to view all His endowments. 3/26/2008 ts