Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

There’s nothing like sleeping in one own bed.

“My eyes are weary with looking upward.” Is38.14 ESV

Most of us can appreciate coming back home after several days of travel. There’s nothing like sleeping in ones own bed. We can then, in some small sense, relate to Jesus, who surely grew tied of being on the road, so to speak. He had come from the glory of Heaven, where all live in perfect unity, intent on that one glory, to enjoy God supremely. He left the glory of Heaven to walk our filthy streets, to wake up each day to people with divided hearts, and forced to witness our greed and selfishness. Surely His eyes grew weary of looking upward when He was accustomed to talking with His Father face to face.
Each day when I pray the Lord’s Prayer I am keenly aware that I speak to our Father, who is in Heaven but I, I am on earth. I feel more and more this distance between us, fragmented yet wanting to be whole, divided but desiring to be one. Strange that my eyes are weary looking upward and longing to see Him face to face. And, as I am presently ashamed to do so, surely this can only be Christ in me, the very hope of glory.
We have yet to come home to this place we have never been and to know a sleep like no other, in the bed prepared for us. Ah, it shall at last be my own bed.