Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Nothing to fear

Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy…Jude1.24 ESV

There is a powerful line from Pilgrim's Progress that has stuck with me through the years. Evangelist asks the pilgrim, "Wherefore dost thou cry?" He answered, "Sir, I perceive, by the book in my hand, that I am condemned to die, and after that to come to judgment, and I find that I am not willing to do the first, nor able to do the second."
Fear of judgment initially brings many to Christ. I confess that this was true for me. But to seriously contemplate all that Christ is for us before God, eventually transforms our fear into inexpressible joy. As the old hymn says, “Twas grace that taught my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved.”
Imagine coming before God on Judgment Day not with a sense of dread but with great joy. If I were to stand on my own record, I would have nothing but fear. But if I stand on the free grace offered to me in Christ, I have nothing to fear.
3/17/2008 ts