Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

God bless you! Really!

“The Lord bless you and keep you.” Nu6.24 ESV

The other day Brenda and I were trying to occupy a rather tight spot with our camper and became stuck in the mud. I managed to flag down a young man with a four-wheel drive pick-up truck who was more than willing to pull us out of our predicament. When I offered to pay him, he just told me to help the next person I came across who was in need. The idea of paying it forward is a rich cultural heritage. I offered a simple “God bless you,” as we parted. He tipped his hat in acceptance.
There is usually a profound effect on people when you ask blessings for them in the simple words, “God bless you.” In the covenant nation of Israel, blessings were freely passed from one person to the next using the Aaronic benediction. “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.” God blesses people so that they may be a blessing to others. His desire is to make us all instruments of His peace in the world. We experience the joy of Christ and have our own joy made full, when we spend our days enriching the lives of other people. To pronounce a blessing on someone and really mean it, carries this promise from God, “So shall they put my name upon the people… and I will bless them.” 3/11/2008 ts