Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

“Don't pray for things as if you were making wishes at a wishing well.” Anonymous

“Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession.” Ps.2.8 ESV

What makes you think that God will answer your prayer? I have heard these words many times interrupting the flow of my prayers. These distractions are expressed any number of ways but I have come to realize they all seek to do one thing and that is to create doubt in my asking. The weapon that Christ gives us against such attacks is to pray in His name. By this, I don’t think He means that we should tack on some magic incantation to the end of our prayers. I think He means that we are to approach God with confidence, not because we are sincere, or deserving, or that we’ve offered good reasons for why He should grant us our request. Our confidence is the singular trust that Jesus has agreed to represent our petition and to ask the Father for it as a personal favor to Him. When we are confident that Jesus is willing to pray with us, we may be just as certain the Father will be willing to answer. All the promises of God are “Yes,” in Christ. 2/20/2009 Conversations Within ts