Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, February 23, 2009

“Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.”

“I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.” Ps.3.5 ESV

My mother never did like the prayer “Now I lay me down to sleep.” She told me once that she was afraid that the second line, “If I should die before I wake,” would make me afraid that I might die in my sleep. I know my mother was trying to protect me, but as an adult, I know that not thinking about dying in my sleep will hardly prevent it from happening. If there is any security to be had, it is to be had in God. One prayer I often whisper on my pillow is for the Lord to watch over my love ones as we sleep. That feeling of venerability we sometimes have just before we drift off at night, only expresses a host of real security issues, all of which, are outside our control. Actually, that safe feeling we have when we believe something to be in our hands is only an illusion. I have no control over drunk drivers, criminal minds, or rough cells in my body. I woke this morning because the Lord sustained me. If I survive this day, it will be because of His gracious hand. Only in glory will we know all that ways that God protected us in this place. 2/21/2009 Conversations Within ts