Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, February 13, 2009

"The true measure of your character is what you do when nobody's watching" -Charles Caleb Colton

“But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.” Is.66.2 ESV

I must confess that I still need my fear of God’s discipline to keep me from doing certain wrongs. I wish that my love for Him were enough but it is not. The way of escape from certain temptations is still lit up by memories of past spankings I’ve received. Bruises received in His gracious woodshed are still a needed reminder that God is serious about my obedience. But this kind of obedience is also not enough. It is not enough to satisfy my desire for a more mature expression of faith. I want that change of character where I can trust myself to do what is right. And, I don’t refer to knowing I will do right in some prideful sense, just confident that I will take the hand He offers me when temptations come. No of us are sufficient in ourselves to keep ourselves for messing up. Even angels are held by the sustaining grace of Jesus. 2/11/2009 Conversations Within ts