Just me trying to be honest with God.

Monday, February 2, 2009

“I sometimes wonder whether all pleasures are not substitutes for joy.” C.S. Lewis

“For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; Is.55.12 ESV

Some of most comforting words ever spoken in me by the Lord Jesus also excite me, “You are not yet as happy as I intend for you to be.” It enlivens me to realize that the Father has made our happiness His concern. Yet, when I think about it, all I ultimately want for my children is for them to be happy. It makes perfect sense that our Father in heaven would want the same for His children. But God wants more for us than just moments of passing happiness, the kind that is found in pleasures or outward circumstances. The joy that Christ would give to us flows from within and is the result of our relationship with Him. When all is well with God, all is well. When we seek happiness in things, we tend to live selfishly only doing what we enjoy. On the other hand, the joy of Jesus enables us to enjoy whatever we do. And, which is the better, to chase happiness, or create it and carry it with wherever we go. 1/30/2009 ts