Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

“In my day, we didn't have self-esteem, we had self-respect, and no more of it than we had earned.” Jane Haddam

Whoever gets sense loves his own soul; he who keeps understanding will discover good. Prov.19 ESV

I think the difference between self-esteem and self-respect is the difference between loving yourself and liking yourself. Loving yourself is actively seeking what is good and right and true for yourself. Liking yourself is a feeling which is more a temperamental mood than real respect. I think there are times when the best way we can love ourselves is to not like ourselves, especially if we are behaving poorly. Let me work on my self-respect and my self-esteem will take care of itself. Conversations Within ts 4/23/2012 (Birmingham, AL)