Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Consider the birds

Consider the birds.
“Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. Lk12.6-7 NKJV

I still vividly remember the first sparrow I shot with my BB gun. My mother asked me not to shoot birds when she bought it for my birthday, but, one of the first things I did with my new gun was go outside and eat that forbidden fruit. I am sure Father also has a vivid recollection of that day. Perhaps He knows the name of the bird I downed off that power line. Why not? The Scriptures tell us that He calls all the stars by name.
I feel a sense of shame for my act and not only because I disobeyed my mother but because I am sure God did not mean such, when He gave man dominion over the creatures. Now though I feel shame, the principle reason Christ gave us this word was that we not feel afraid. In effect He is telling us that if God keeps up with the affairs of sparrows He will certainly keep up with us.
I still vividly remember a time when I was concerned, I might even say worried, about something. I was sitting in the car with Brenda waiting for the Sonic girl to bring out whatever is was that we had ordered. It was a scorching summer day and there in front of me was a family of young sparrows drinking from a water spicket. Someone evidently had not turned it off tight enough and one tiny drop after another was falling into the upturned beaks of these hot and thirsty birds. And, as plain as any voice I have heard, I heard the Spirit gently say, “As I care and provide for these birds I will certainly care and provide for you. You are of more value than many sparrows.” 8/9/07 ts