Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Dative of Advantage

For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. Ro14.8 NKJV

The prepositional phrase, “to the Lord,“ is called by grammarians a dative of advantage. Simply understood, we live or die to one chief end, and that is to seek the advantage of Christ. In another place, the apostle put it this way, “We make it our aim to be pleasing to Him.”
Just as any married person seeks mutual enjoyment with the spouse they have wed, so too the bride of Christ. We live for His enjoyment and find our happiness under His protection, provision, guidance and love.
All that we are, all that we have, is employed to this magical purpose. My house is His house, my car, my bank account, my everything is used for His advantage. Many Christians seem to have forgotten this, or else they have never known it. The sad truth is that I know so few Christians who would take an un-wed pregnant teen into their home if they were asked to do so. Have we forgotten what it means to be married to Christ?
To seek the advantage of Christ is of course to seek our own joy. Did He not say, I have told you these things, so that my joy may be in you and your joy made full. 8/15/07 ts