Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Fully Present

Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.’ Jer33.3 NKJV

There is a bad trait that runs in my family, and one which I hope to expunge. Each of us tend to get so focused on some train of thought that we do not hear what the other members of the family are trying to say to us. Brenda seems to be the only one in the house who is immune to this problem. She has however, been ignored when the rest of us are caught up in our own little world.
We are told that God is never so intently focused on one of His projects or concerns that He will not answer us when we call. He encourages us to talk to Him and gives us the promise that He will pay attention to us when we do. I think that it is we, not He, who have an attention deficit disorder. Scripture as well as personal experience has convinced me that God is fully present everywhere and at all times. When I have come awake to Him I have never once found Him napping. The millions of prayers that come to Him do not tax or overwhelm Him. He sits intently focused on the prayers of the frightened little girl in Darfur and at the same moment He gives full attention to the lonely old man in some nursing home. The whole universe cannot contain Him, and in Him we live and move and have our being. He is described by Christ as the watchful Father who eagerly runs to greet a wayward child returning to Him. And, if we pay attention to Him, He will raise us to heights never known, and open our eyes to wonders beyond imagination. I think one way He does this, is by teaching us in some miniature way, to be like Him, to be fully present in every moment. 8/4/07 ts