Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

His answer will be a good one.

“You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word.” Ps119.114 NKJV

There may be any number of things that we might hope to receive from the Lord. I certainly have my list. And, I confess that when Father does not act as I wish, or give me what I think is a reasonable request, I express my frustrations to Him usually by directing some sarcasm in His direction. Later, I find myself apologizing and come to realize how patient He is.
I see a gradual shift in the focus of my hope. Though I pray specific prayers and ask for many detailed things, my hope is not so much that He will give me what I want but what is best. God has not promised to give us all that we want. He does offer us the assurance that His answer will be a good one. That is, He will never answer us in any way that does not bring His goodness to us. More than likely, He will give us something better than what we have asked.
Our hope then is in His word and specifically in the revealed goodness of His character offered in it. Our hope is not that He will give what we ask, but that He will not give us a snake when we ask for a fish or a stone when we ask for bread. No, He may not give us what we ask, but He will always give us what is good. Our hope is not only in His word but in His goodness. Surely we are to ask! Yet in the end, our hope is that good is the only thing God has to give for those to whom He has already given Christ. 8/1/07 ts