Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, August 3, 2007

When God looks at my heart

For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 1Sa16.7

The other day, I heard someone make a comment about a very talented young man saying that he had “the whole package.“ They, of course, meant that the person had the looks, talent, personality, charisma, just about everything we would normally think it takes to be successful. And though we often think this way, a good many unsuspecting people have risen to wealth, power and popularity. We see in some instances “that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happens to them all.”
God of course controls all that we call chance and His word tells us that “the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whomever He chooses.” God decides the outcome of all things.
Israel’s first king, Saul, was a man who had the “whole package,” so to speak. Yet God rejected him as king and gave it to David, a man after His own heart.
We might have many thoughts when we consider these things but I should think it appropriate in the very least to query ourselves. When God looks at my heart, what does He see? What does it reveal about my heart when I consider the things His has entrusted to me? What does it reveal about my heart when I see God entrust to another what I myself desire? Create in me a clean heart O God! 8/3/07 ts