Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Value Judgments

“I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches.” Ps119.14 NKJV

Do I really rejoice in my possession of God’s Word as much as if I won the 100 Million Mega Lottery Jackpot? Money was of course the first thing I thought of when I read the word “riches.“ Yet, the text does not say “riches,“ but “all riches.“ Money is only one kind of wealth. Health is a wealth greater than money. Only a fool would trade one for the other? Family, even friends are a greater wealth than silver and gold. It is tragic that people have lost both chasing after money.
Apart of the value of God’s word is that it helps us with true value judgments like the one just mentioned and not to be taken in by false notions.
The writer of this Psalm had the riches of the king. Yet the wisdom of God’s word, teaches us to properly view God’s provisions. Is it not true that the poorest American has material wealth that time and technology has denied to David and his Sons. Do we not live as kings in our air-conditioned homes? No doubt money, health, family, friends are all riches to enjoy. Yet none of them are greater than living in the way of His testimonies. Augustine’s prayer is a good one when considering these things. “We love You to little, if we love anything together with You that we do not love because of You.” Is it not true that if I love something or someone more than God then I am really moving in the direction of not loving them at all. I have set before my loved ones the poor example of loving something which is less than that which is supremely valuable. 8/11/07 ts