Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

He Loves Me, Does He Like Me?

For the LORD takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the humble with salvation. Ps149.4 NKJV

Yesterday I was speaking with someone about the difference in loving and liking. I am convinced that God loves me, I am not sure that He likes me. That is to say, my faith tells me that God is always seeking my eternal good through loving and beneficial actions. This of course is the nature of love. Loving as opposed to liking involves actions more so than feelings. Just as we can love someone without liking them, it only seems logical that God loves people even when He doesn’t like them. God’s love of course, is unconditional. He loves us not because we are lovable but because He is abounding love. And even though I am confident of this love I do at times wonder if He enjoys my company, if He likes me.
Despite our many undesirable traits, I believe there is one quality in a person which God absolutely enjoys. The truly humble person is said to please Him. We are told that the Father not only loves His Son, but that He likes Him, and takes great pleasure in Him. Christ of course, is gentle and humble in heart.
I believe that because God loves us, He desires to level the mountains of our pride and work the gentle and quiet spirit of Christ in each of us. And, when we are possessed of such, He will undoubtedly come to like us. In fact, the more we become like Christ and take on His personality I am sure Father will be positively pleased to spend the day with us. We might say that God is loving us into the kind of people with whom He enjoys spending time. 8/8/07 ts