Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

“Fate tried to conceal him by naming him Smith.” Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

“And his mother called his name Jabez, saying, 'Because I bore him in pain.'” 1Chr.4 ESV

I am certain that I was a pain in the rear to my mother growing up but I cannot imagine her telling me that every time she called my name. That is exactly what Jabez means. Every day Jabez's mother would say, “Pain, get out of bed.” “Pain make your bed.” Pain take out the trash.” Jabez rose above his name and prayed the prayer now made famous by the national best seller “The Prayer of Jabez,” "Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!" Jabez's prayer is a plays on words, literally on his own name and God granted his request. Whatever negatives come our way, transferring our trust to God enables us to rise above them. God has made it possible not only to rise above negatives, but to rise above mediocrity and settle for nothing less than a remarkable life. 8/16/2011 Conversations Within ts (Sweet Home Alabama)