Just me trying to be honest with God.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

“What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” William Shakespeare

“And whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name.” Gen.2 ESV



People make up new words all of the time. “Google” or “tweet” would be a few recent examples. We have a name for everything; “the old stump road” or “Bob's Johns”--a name I saw recently on the side of a “port-a-potty.” Naming stuff is what we do. Naming gives us a way of relating to the world around us. It also expresses that unique human quality to exercise dominion over the world. If I name something, I have a measure of control over it, even if it is only a way to think about it. This might be why Moses asked God His name. That way when we call His name He will stop what He is doing and answer us. God told Moses that His name was “I am” or I exist. I think God told us His name because He does not mind answering us. That is what He does. If fact, His name became synonymous with someone who makes agreements and keeps them. What is His agreement? “Call to me and I will answer you.” 8/15/2011 Conversations Within ts (Oklahoma City)