Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

“You do wrong to everyone you could help, but fail to help." St. Basil the Great

“But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?” 1Jo.3



What motivates me to acts of charity? Is it fear of God, compassion, shame, guilt or love? At this point in my life it is probably a mix of all of these depending on how well I keep in step with Christ. It is better to feed the poor as an expression of abounding love than to do it from shame and guilt but it is better to do it from shame and guilt than to not do it at all. Until love dominates the landscape of my life I may have to settle for baser motivations. God often must paint a dark backdrop using fear, guilt and shame, until the canvas of our heart is ready for the bright colors of pure love. 8/23/2011 Conversations Within ts (Camp Farrington, AL)