Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, April 24, 2009

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.” Albert Einstein

“…a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.” Ps.51.17

The Scriptures tell us that there is more hope for a fool than for one who is proud. Why does God despise pride? Could it be that pride blinds us to our faults, keeps us from seeking the grace of God’s forgiveness and locks us in the dungeon of a self-absorbed hell. This would mean that one reason God hates pride is because of what pride does to us not to Him. If we are ever on the outs with God, one sure path back into His favor is a broken and contrite heart. Of course, we should not confuse brokenness with shame or injured pride. Am I sorry when I wrong another or am I sorry than I am such a sorry person when I thought better of myself? Blessed are those who mourn for the right reason. 4/23/2009 Conversations Within ts