Just me trying to be honest with God.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Grow old with me! The best is yet to be. ~Robert Browning

Grow old with me! The best is yet to be. ~Robert Browning

“The glory of young men is their strength, but the splendor of old men is their gray hair.” Prov.20 ESV

I remember the first time I heard John Denver’s song, “Poem Prayers and Promises;” I was moved by its lyrics. One line in particular stirred me, even though I was young at the time. It muses the simple fact of aging--“The changes somehow frighten me but still I have to smile. It turns me on to think I’m growing old.” It is a grace of God to make peace with age. The deeply veined lines on calloused hands have a beauty not surpassed by youthful strength. There is as much beauty in the autumn and winter years as in spring and summer of life. It is an honor to live long, to see gray mist settle upon one’s beard and brow. What a marvel that even though God knew of Adam’s fall before he fell and He would design such beauty even in a fallen world and give us the power to appreciate it. Who would have thought? But it is just like Him for He makes all things beautiful in it time. 7/5/2010 Conversations Within ts