Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

“Boredom is the self being stuffed with itself.” Walker Percy

“And he lay down on his bed and turned away his face and would eat no food.” (When King Ahab could not have his way) 2Kgs.21 ESV

I did not start experiencing boredom until after mid-life. Before that, I could always figure out ways to entertain myself. Even now I only have brief bouts with it. When I am bored, it is usually because I am spending too much time thinking about me. Boredom is just another symptom of my supreme selfishness. The Spirit of Jesus is constantly teaching me to get my head out of myself and into the joys of sharing, of loving, of creating. This is true holiness when we set ourselves apart to be a bubbling brook instead of a black hole. Such a life has little time or reason to be bored. I am waking, even if there is still sleep in my eyes, to something C. S. Lewis described. “How little people know who think that holiness is dull. When one meets the real thing...it is irresistible.” 7/21/2011 Conversations Within ts (Oak Mountain, AL)