Just me trying to be honest with God.

Friday, March 12, 2010

“Adult supervision required!”

“With great delight I sat in his shadow, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.” SoS.2.3 ESV

One of my favorite toys as a child was a chemistry set. Despite the warning to not mix certain chemicals together, the first thing I did was mix them just to see what would happen. I needed supervision when I was a child and though I hate to admit it, I still do, not with chemistry sets but with simple pleasures. Pleasures can ensnare and endanger the soul but with the fellowship of Christ, they only add to joy. It may seem strange that God would make a world full of pleasures, each potentially dangerous, until we realize that the danger only occurs in the present order, a world in rebellion. Expecting God to make pleasure where this kind of danger doesn’t exist is to ask Him to create a world without voluntary love. Choice along with its many dangers seems to be the only possible design that enables such love to exist. 3/6/2010 Conversations Within ts