Just me trying to be honest with God.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

“Life, life eternal life!” Pilgrim's Progress

“He has also set eternity in their heart...” Ecc. 3 NASB

I want a tee-shirt that says, “I believe in Jesus because I want to do this forever.” The “this” could be any number of activities; most of them involve wood, wind water or rock, always with my family and friends but also things like eating, reading or what I call piddling --in short I could do life forever! It is so natural to want something good to go on forever. But what about the bad? I certainly don't want anything of pain, or fear or selfishness to go on and on and on. I favor “Life is Good” tee-shirts. But life is not always good and certainly not good for everybody. Suffering permeates our world like the smell of something dead in the air. Most people would not want to live forever in a body racked by pain or mental illness. For many, the desire to live forever is best answered in the words of Jesus, “I go and prepare a place for you.” Until we transition to this place, we pray and work to bring as much of it as we can into this one. Faith enables us to know something of it in our hearts if not in our failing bodies. 1/1/2011 Conversations Within ts (Gulf Shores)