Just me trying to be honest with God.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

“When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind.” Seneca

“Stand firm...” Eph.6

I suppose you could just as easily reply to Seneca that when a man does not know what harbor he is making for, “any” wind is the right wind. In other words, just “go with the flow.” I can see certain advantages to this kind of thinking, at least in some things. “Blessed are the flexible, for they shall no be bent out-of-shape.“ But while this may be good when choosing a restaurant with a group of friends, it can spell disaster when choosing a life purpose. Sometimes the right purpose in life will lead us to be flexible, other times it will direct us to hold course and sail against the wind. If my life purpose is to love God and love my neighbor, eating Mexican when all my friends want Mexican and I would prefer Asian might be the best way to express it. Being flexible would best express that purpose. But I am sure there are times when standing firm and staying the course is the best way to love my neighbor, especially if a storm is coming and I know a sure way to the only safe port. 6/13/2011 Conversations Within ts (On-the-road, FL)